A Wayne Brooksby hat-trick gave Bradford Park Avenue a deserved three points as they defeated fellow strugglers AFC Telford United.

Brooksby saw a show deflect past home goalkeeper Callum Burton to give Avenue a half-time lead but a Lee Hughes penalty drew Telford level in the second half.

The Bucks looked to be in charge and pushed for a winner, but Brooksby put Avenue back in front with 10 minutes to go, flicking a volley into the top corner before sealing the win with a finely taken third in the final minute.

Avenue manager Mark Bower chose to make a number of changes following Tuesday’s disappointing defeat at Stalybridge, Ryan Toulson missing out for the first time this season with Jake Hibbs coming in at right back.

Matt Hill, Emile Sinclair and Adam Nowakowski were all promoted to the starting line-up, with Oli Johnson serving a one-match ban following his dismissal against FC Halifax Town last weekend.

The game began in scrappy fashion with neither side taking control early on, as Hughes sliced into the side-netting before Gavin Rothery waited just too long for a ball to drop in the area, and his volley was blocked away.

Brooksby was looking dangerous from the off, and he slid a great ball across the face of goal but no-one could get on the end of it.

Avenue then came close when James Knowles met stand-in captain Nicky Wroe’s corner, his header kept out on the line by Elliot Hodge.

Bradford were then left shouting for a penalty as Rothery touched down Hibbs’ cross, Nowakowski seemingly dragged to the ground as he looked to get on the end of it but the referee waved away the Avenue appeals.

But after dominating much of the half, the away side took the lead on 35 minutes.

Brooksby was played in on the right and as he sent a shot across goal, Paul McCone slid in and deflected it in over an already committed Burton.

Avenue were playing some nice football and Nowakowski found himself on the end of an excellent move, going for an overhead kick which he mistimed completely.

After the interval, Telford came out looking to draw level, and on the end of a long ball Hughes managed to flick a header goalwards which Jon Worsnop had to be alert to tip over the bar.

Hibbs was having an excellent game at right back, and he did brilliantly to cross towards Danny Boshell, but he just couldn’t control and get a shot away.

Dave Hibbert was beginning to cause problems as a target for Telford, and he flicked on for Hughes whose volley was blocked away by Nowakowski.

James Knowles was at it as well to deny Hughes, after he had beat two to get in on the left but the Bradford centre back blocked his effort behind for a corner.

However from that, the home side were awarded a penalty. Hughes went down in a heap as the cross game in and referee David McNamara, who also awarded a soft penalty against Avenue at Salford earlier this season, pointed to the spot.

The veteran striker stepped up and finished the penalty low to Worsnop’s left for his third goals in five appearances since joining the Bucks from Worcester.

Straight from kick off United came back on the attack and Worsnop made a brilliant save from Hibbert, though a free kick had already been awarded.

Avenue had a sniff at goal as Wroe sent a shot in from 25 yards which Burton fumbled, but he recovered just in time to nick it away from Nowakowski.

Chris Sharp had been brought on as Avenue searched for a winner, and he ran full back Dwayne Samuels back to the by-line, earning a cheap corner which proved costly for the hosts.

Wroe’s delivery to the back post picked out an unmarked Sharp, and with bodies bustling around the keeper he attempted a left-footed volley which bounced up and was diverted into the top corner with a clever finish from Brooksby.

Bradford looked comfortable from there, and added a third in the final minute following more good pressing from Sharp and Brooksby.

Between them they won the ball back from McCone just outside the box, Aidan Chippendale playing the loose ball into Brooksby, who managed to control and beat Havern with a brilliant touch, before finishing effortlessly into the bottom corner from 20 yards.

Avenue’s first three points since defeating Nuneaton in February saw them go level on points with Telford, and open up a four point gap to the bottom three, ahead of a trip to Darlington on Wednesday.

AFC Telford United: Burton, Samuels, Higham, McCone, Havern (c), Rea (Kissock 53), Hodge, Jones, Hughes, Hibbert (Lilly 84), Dielna (McCarthy 74)

Subs not used: Royle, Bailey

Goal: Hughes (70)

Bookings: Havern (33), McCone (90+2)

Bradford Park Avenue: Worsnop, Hibbs, Hill, Wroe (c), Killock, Knowles, Brooksby, D.Boshell, Sinclair (Sharp 77), Nowakowski (Dean 84), Rothery (Chippendale 88)

Subs not used: Toulson, Hall

Goals: Brooksby (35, 79, 90)

Bookings: Hill (30), Knowles (67), Chippendale (90+2)

Referee: David McNamara

Attendance: 1,028