Bradford Park Avenue fell to defeat in their final league match of the season, but it would not dampen supporters’ moods on a day of celebration.

Avenue had secured an unthinkable escape from relegation 12 days prior, and their final away trip of the season had a party atmosphere as supporters sung, danced and even conga’d in the away stand at Aggborough.

In the match, Joe Ironside and Jordan Tunnicliffe had the hosts in a comfortable position before the half-time break.

Nicky Wroe pulled one back from the spot after Jamie Spencer hit the post, the Huddersfield loanee seeing one cleared off the line moments later. However Liam Truslove sealed the victory for the home side despite a dominant second half showing by Avenue.

Ed Hall, who was once again given a chance in goal after an impressive display against Stockport, was called into action early on as he tipped away a cross-shot by Arthur Gnahoua.

Up the other end, Chris Sharp saw his header tipped away by Sam Hornby as Bradford tested second-placed Harriers for the first time in the match.

However on 22 minutes, on the end of a flowing move Ironside headed home to put his side in front.

The visitors came close again and probably should have scored as Sharp’s low cross was mis-kicked by Oli Johnson and Emile Sinclair couldn’t get a shot away at the back post.

Avenue were dealt a blow on the half hour as, with James Knowles already out injured, stand-in centre back Adam Nowakowski was stretchered off resulting in a major reshuffle for Mark Bower to deal with.

With five minutes to play of the first half, the hosts doubled their lead as Tunnicliffe met a Knights delivery and planted his free header into the back of the net.

Hall had to be sharp inside six minutes of first half injury time, doing excellently to tip away Gnahoua’s powerful drive across goal.

Moments into the second half Avenue struck the woodwork as Johnson found Spencer, and he cut inside but saw his strike cannon off the foot of the near post.

Ironside then should have made it three as he turned in the area but he finished well wide from a good position.

Hornby made two good saves from Johnson and Wroe as Avenue began to take serious control of proceedings, with the help of half time substitute Danny Boshell.

However a tangle in the area saw Johnson go down and the referee point to the spot, Wroe confidently sending Hornby the wrong way to net his sixth goal of the season.

Avenue should have drawn level moments later as Spencer found the ball at his feet inside the six yard box, but his effort was somehow scrambled onto the post and away by some desperate home defending.

With the visitors attacking, Harriers took advantage with a fine counter attack to add a third as Truslove headed in from fellow substitute Emmanuel Sonupe’s cross.

That goal seemed to take it out of Bower’s side, Johnson finishing wildly with the final chance of the game after the most unlikely of debuts was handed to dual-registered Joe Noblet, when he replaced Spencer on 82 minutes.

The game came to an end and Avenue’s players showed their appreciation to the vociferous support, and there was a touching moment as Nicky Wroe handed his boots to young fan Harvey Dimbleby.

Kidderminster Harriers: Hornby, Williams, Francis-Angol, Croasdale, Lowe, Tunnicliffe, Waite, Knights, Ironside (Sonupe 58), Ngwatala (Truslove 26), Gnahoua

Subs not used: Carter, Hodgkiss, Brown

Goals: Ironside (22), Tunnicliffe (41), Truslove (79)

Bradford Park Avenue: Hall, Toulson (c), Hill, Wroe, Killock, Nowakowski (Rothery 31), Chippendale, Spencer (Noblet 82), Sharp, Johnson, Sinclair (D.Boshell 46)

Subs not used: Worsnop, Payne

Goal: Wroe (67P)

Referee: Simon Mather

Attendance: 1,890

Comments are closed.