Bradford Park Avenue suffered back-to-back defeats as they went down 3-1 in the West Yorkshire derby against FC Halifax Town.

There was no doubting that it was a derby as an all-action second half saw two red cards and four goals in front of a bumper crowd at the Horsfall Stadium.

Oli Johnson was at the centre of the contest, scoring the opening goal with a lovely chip beyond the keeper, before he saw red for two bookable offences.

Halifax’s comeback came from the first two goals coming from set-pieces with Richard Peniket and Tom Denton finishing past Jon Worsnop, and a late goal from Matty Kosylo put the game out of sight.

Avenue started the brightest and Ryan Toulson played a fantastic ball beyond the Halifax defence onto an on-running Johnson who just failed to take the ball down.

Halifax goalkeeper Sam Johnson made a good reflex save from namesake Oli’s early effort, however the referee signalled a handball by the Avenue striker.

The first real chance of the match fell to Avenue as Wroe’s flick on fell to Johnson who went through on goal but his chipped effort went narrowly over the crossbar.

Johnson was involved again as a long throw from fell on the edge of the box to Boshell, whose first time effort was flicked on by the front-man, deceiving the Shaymen keeper but dropping narrowly wide of the mark.

There was still time in the first half for another great chance for Johnson as the ball fell to his feet six yards out, but the Halifax goalkeeper denied him again with another great save.

Josh Wilde picked up the first booking before David Lynch was also carded for a foul on Danny Boshell on the edge of the box. The free kick taken by Boshell was inches wide of the top corner.

Halifax came out determined and as a result dominated the opening stages of the second half but still couldn’t work Worsnop, Peniket seeing an effort blocked by Avenue’s defence.

Against the run of play, Avenue took the lead. Johnson got onto the end of a lofted ball over the top with an excellent first touch and lifted the ball over the stranded Halifax keeper from a tight angle.

Johnson picked up the first Avenue booking of the game as he was dispossessed and took his anger out with a poorly timed slide tackle..

The resulting free kick was whipped into the box towards substitute Denton who knocked the ball down to Peniket, Avenue failed to clear and he slotted it home to earn his side an equaliser.

Halifax dominated after the goal with a long range shot from Peniket saved by Worsnop, while Toulson could have scored an own goal when he cleared the ball into his own keeper.

Not long after his booking, Avenue were reduced to 10 men after goal scorer Johnson received his second yellow card for another poor challenge.

Halifax left it late to take the lead on 86 minutes, when Matty Brown crossed from deep. Denton produced a slight connection on the ball which delayed Worsnop’s reaction and ended up in Avenue’s net.

There was still time for drama and another red card, Peniket flying into a header with elbows raised, leaving Toulson in a heap and the referee with no option.

Halifax scored their third in added time as Bradford threw everyone forward and a poor touch from Aidan Chippendale sent Kosylo clear. He knocked it round the Avenue keeper and slotted the ball into an empty net.

Bradford Park Avenue: Worsnop, Toulson (c, Dean 90), Nowakowski, Wroe, Killock, Knowles, Brooksby, D.Boshell (Sinclair 90), Chippendale, Johnson, Rothery (Sharp 85)

Subs not used: Payne, Hall

Goal: Johnson (64)

Booking: Johnson (70)

Sent off: Johnson (79)

FC Halifax Town: Johnson, Roberts (c), Wilde, Sinnott, Garner, Brown, Kosylo, Lynch, Peniket, Morgan (Denton 50), Clarke (King 86)

Subs not used: Drench, Moyo, Hotte

Goals: Peniket (70), Denton (86), Kosylo (90+1)

Bookings: Wilde (35), Lynch (37), Clarke (76)

Sent off: Peniket (89)

Referee: Simeon Lucas

Attendance: 1,192